Our video called “What to Expect from Your Registered Investment Advisor” sets out new items that your advisor must include in client relationship documents you receive when you open an investment account.
Generally, an investment advisor must include anything of interest to a reasonable client.
- the possible types of accounts, such as cash, margin, or registered accounts
- the services your advisor’s firm can provide, such as selling or advising on investments
- the types of investments your advisor’s firm can provide, such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- various types of risks, such as market value changes and interest rate changes
- conflicts of interest between your advisor’s firm and you, such as selling you securities of the advisor’s firm or in which the advisor or firm has an interest
- fees and other charges you will pay for operating your account, such as operating and transaction charges (Operating charges would include administration fees, management fees, and transfer fees. Transaction charges would include commissions, performance fees, and redemption fees.)
If you have any questions about the information in your relationship disclosure document, talk to your advisor until you understand the information you have received.
If you have any concerns about a person or company offering an investment opportunity, please contact BCSC Inquiries at 604-899-6854 or 1-800-373-6393 or through e-mail at [email protected]. You can also file a complaint or submit a tip anonymously using BCSC’s online complaint form.
We are starting a monthly roundup of BC securities enforcement actions. This new monthly posting comes out of meetings with focus groups of investors who indicated they wanted this information. In addition to BCSC decisions, settlement and arrests, we may also include decisions or settlements of self-regulatory organizations, such as the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization […]
In July 2013, the BCSC released one sanction decision and one notice of hearing. The Commission also issued an Investor Alert on Hines Aircraft Ltd. The MFDA released one settlement agreement in July 2013 relating to a BC resident. IIROC released no decisions in July 2013 relating to BC residents. Below is a summary of […]