British Columbia Securities Commission (BCSC) enforcement staff investigate market misconduct derived from tips and complaints from the general public.
Each time you contact us, you’ll be in touch with a BCSC staff member who will direct your query within the BCSC or to an outside agency.
How to Report a Concern to the BCSC
When you report suspicious investment activity, it allows us to further look into the matter.
The BCSC has an online form to help investors report information. Investors can submit a tip, file a complaint, or report a scam related to investments or securities.
Investors can also report concerns via email or by calling 1-800-373-6393.
What Do I Need to Contact the BCSC?
The more information you have before contacting us, the easier it is to guide your inquiry to the appropriate BCSC division or outside agency.
Generally, investors will have documentation leading up to the issue. This could include, but is not excluded to, transaction records, email messages, investment statements, or advertising materials.
We assess every complaint or tip regardless of how much information is available during the initial inquiry. The nature of your inquiry will determine the best course of action.
What the BCSC Can and Cannot Do
The BCSC has a wide range of authority to disrupt, stop, and prevent unscrupulous market behavior.
Depending on the inquiry, the BCSC can:
- Act against market misconduct, including imposing sanctions or penalties
- Enforce compliance with securities legislation
- In some cases, order respondents to pay back money to investors
- Answer general questions about investment products or services
- Tell you if a firm or individual is registered in BC
- Tell you if a firm or individual has been disciplined by the BCSC or other regulator
- Suggest options to help you pursue a complaint
The BCSC cannot force someone to give your money back, undo a transaction, or provide investment or legal advice.
The File a Complaint page shares what the BCSC can and cannot do, depending on the inquiry.
How BCSC Inquiries Helps Investors
The BCSC Inquiries team helps investors with questions about advisors or investments. Email [email protected] or call 1-800-373-6393 if you need to speak with someone about a securities-related issue.
The Inquiries team can help you:
- Run an Advisor Check to see if an investment advisor is registered
- Register a complaint about a company or individual in the BCSC’s jurisdiction
- Identify the self-regulatory organization responsible for overseeing an investment firm
- Understand cease trade orders and other administrative sanctions imposed by the BCSC
- Determine if old stock certificates have value
- Research a public or private company
Inquiries is available to receive calls or emails from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific time, Monday to Friday.
If you have any concerns about a person or company offering an investment opportunity, please contact BCSC Inquiries at 604-899-6854 or 1-800-373-6393 or through e-mail at [email protected]. You can also file a complaint or submit a tip anonymously using the BCSC’s online complaint form.
InvestRight.org is the British Columbia Securities Commission’s investor education website.
BCSC staff ambassadors tour the province, helping people to protect themselves from fraud and unsuitable investments. Our goal is to enable BC investors to develop critical thinking skills so they can become more informed of steps they should take to protect themselves when investing. Where we are this month Kelowna Be Fraud Aware seminar May […]
BCSC staff ambassadors tour the province, helping people protect themselves from fraud and unsuitable investments. Our goal is to enable BC investors to develop critical thinking skills to inform them of steps they should take to protect themselves when investing. Where we are this month Vancouver Better Business Bureau Top 10 Scams March 5 Media […]